The Guelph SYP Chapter was formed in the of fall 2006. The goals of the chapter, which is based at the University of Guelph, are:
- To increase communication among students and young professionals involved in water management issues on campus and elsewhere;
- To provide networking opportunities among students, young professionals, and professionals involved in water management issues; and,
- To participate and support the Mentorship Program the CWRA is currently launching.
The main focus of our chapter is to provide students and young professionals with a forum for information exchange and learning, and a forum for networking. We will typically meet about once a month to discuss water related issues and plan upcoming activities.
The organizing committee has two team leaders, one facilitator, and three communicators. We are currently working on activities that will create awareness of the Guelph Chapter and provide opportunities for learning and networking. Some of the proposed activities include:
- informal discussion seminars on water issues
- “meet & greet” events (creating links with the Chapter and professionals)
- establishing the mentorship program in Guelph, and
- creating a chapter Web page to be linked to the SYP site
Many students and young professionals have expressed their interest to be active members of the Guelph SYP Chapter. Current membership ranges from about 27-35, including grad students from the departments of Geography, Rural Planning and Development, Capacity Development and Extension, Land Resource Science, Consumer Studies, Food, Agricultural & Resource Economics, Integrative Biology and the School of Engineering, among others.
If you want to become a member of the chapter, or you have any questions, please contact us at: