CWRA 75th Anniversary Photo Contest
In honor of our 75th Anniversary in 2022, CWRA is hosting a Photo Contest. We would like to see and celebrate your photos of water in Canada, update our collection of water images, and select some of our favorites to feature in a special print edition of water news and to recognize at our 2022 National Conference.
The contest entry is now closed, but you can follow the links below to see all of the excellent submissions! CWRA Members will be able to vote on their favorites to honor at the 75th Annual National Conference soon.
View the Submissions
Terms and Conditions
Who may enter:
Any person over the age of 18 may enter the photo contest. Contest participants must download and sign the photo release document linked to this page and email it to email@example.com to finalize their submission.
What to enter:
Submit your photos of water in Canada relating to the following themes:
These themes are broad, and we anticipate that they will evoke different associations for different people. We look forward to seeing how your entries interpret each theme.
Rules for Entry:
The following rules apply to photo submissions:
- Photographic entries must be original material. Cropping of photographs and tonal or colour corrections are permitted, but any additional content alteration of digital files is not permitted.
- All photos must be submitted digitally. If the photo was taken on film it needs to be scanned or otherwise converted to a digital file meeting the submission requirements.
- Please provide high-resolution photos in JPEG, TIF, or EPS formats. Please send in the highest quality/largest size media possible, and we would prefer 300 dpi (dots-per-inch) or higher. The minimum submission size for photos is 1500 x 2100 pixels.
- Contest participants may enter up to 5 photos per category.
- For a photo in which a person who is not the photographer is recognizable, you must provide a model release from the subject or, in the case of a minor, the subject’s parent or guardian. A model release can be added to the photo release form upload. If the photographic subject is also the photographer, the photo release will count as the model release.
- Entrants whose photos depict other people’s work (such as sculptures, statues, paintings, and other copyrightable works) must provide a release from the rights holder to CWRA.
- Photos that violate or infringe upon another person’s rights or privacy, including but not limited to copyright, are not eligible.
- Photos that contain sexually explicit, nude, obscene, violent or other objectionable or inappropriate content, as determined by CWRA in its sole discretion, are ineligible for all categories of this contest.
- Entries will not be accepted unless submitted via the official contest channel, and accompanied by the photo release.
- By entering these photos in the contest, entrants agree that photos submitted can be used as described in the photo release by CWRA and its programs and affiliates, including in social media posts, on our website, in our newsletters and magazine, and in other materials, with attribution. Please see the photo release for further details. All uses will include a photo credit. This use will be non-exclusive, and CWRA will not claim copyright on any photos submitted.
- Photographic entries must not have been published or accepted for publication by a national magazine or newspaper. Photographic entries that have been previously published online on, for example, personal websites, blogs or social media, are not considered published for the purpose of this Contest. Judges will require the publication history of all photos being considered in the final stages of judging and reserve the right to disqualify photos based on their publication history.
- Submissions are due by March 15, 2022.
- Submissions will be reviewed before they are posted on the website to ensure that they meet the submission guidelines. CWRA reserves the right to reject submissions for any reason.
How to enter:
- Photos must be submitted via the digital platform through the links below to be eligible for entry into the contest.
- Follow the steps and guidelines on the platform and in these rules regarding photo submission sizes.
- Enter the requested metadata: name, date of submission, location of submission subject, and CWRA membership status.
- Fill out and email the photo release form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submissions will be reviewed and approved before they are posted on the contest website. This process may take up to 2 business days.
Prizes and Judging:
12 photos will be selected for recognition in our magazine and at the CWRA National Conference. A Judging Committee will select a CWRA member and non-member winner in each category. After the submission period is over, CWRA Members will also be able to vote for their favorite photograph in each category from among submissions by CWRA members.