January 27 2023: CWRA National Mid-Term Workshop: Canada Water Agency – Facilitating Collaboration on Freshwater Coordination and Stewardship
CWRA National Mid-Term Workshop
This workshop is SOLD OUT! If you would like to be placed on a waitlist, please send an email to email@example.com. If a space becomes available, individuals will be contacted in the order in which we receive waitlist requests. You will only be contacted if there is a cancellation.
Topic: Canada Water Agency – Facilitating Collaboration on Freshwater Coordination and Stewardship
CWRA Ontario Branch is pleased to host a full-day in-person national workshop in Ottawa on the Canada Water Agency: Facilitating Collaboration on Freshwater Strategies and Stewardship.
In anticipation that an announcement will be made regarding the Government of Canada’s commitment to establishing a Canada Water Agency, we look forward to the following presentations and panel. The workshop will provide participants with an opportunity to learn more about Canada’s path forward on freshwater stewardship, governance and leadership.
The workshop will begin at 8:00 a.m. with registration, coffee and light snacks. The program will start at 8:45 a.m.
Welcome and Remarks: Terry Duguid, MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Climate Change
Remarks: Stephanie Smith, CWRA National President
An Update on the Creation of the Canada Water Agency: Mike Goffin, Director General, Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
Climate Science 2050 Science & Knowledge Plan and Freshwater Linkages: Marjorie Shepherd, Science & Technology Branch (ECCC)
Canada Freshwater Data Strategy Framework – A Possible Roadmap: Jim M.C. Young, Office of the Chief Data Officer (ECCC)
IJC Perspectives on the Canada Water Agency: Commissioner Henry Lickers, International Joint Commission (IJC)
Flood Hazard Identification and Mapping Program (FHIMP): Sheila Ball and Joshua Wiebe, Meteorological Service of Canada (ECCC)
An Update on Ontario’s Flooding Strategy: Mike Passey, Co-ordinator Natural Hazards, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Panel discussion on the Modernization of the Canada Water Act: Moderated by Sandra Cooke, Canadian Water Network; panel members include Theresa McClenaghan (Canadian Environmental Law Association), Mike Passey (Ontario Ministry of Natural resources and Forestry), and Dr. Frederick Wrona (University of Calgary).
Closing Remarks: Gillian Walker, CWRA Ontario Board of Directors. The workshop will conclude at 4:30 pm.
Please join us following the workshop at the networking event coordinated by the Ottawa SYP at 5:30 pm at the Lowertown Brewery in the ByWard market.
Please note that the workshop agenda is subject to change. Check this event web page regularly for updates.
Location: Ottawa, ON @ Andaz Ottawa ByWard Market, 325 Dalhousie Street, Ottawa
- Please note, the main door to the building is on Dalhousie Street with paid parking behind the hotel
- If you need to book a hotel room for this event, please click here for the Andaz Hotel.
- If you have registered and are unable to attend, please send an email to ON@CWRA.org.
Date: Friday, January 27th, 2023 (Workshop)
COVID/Health Measures: Masking is encouraged and health measures will follow local protocols at the time of the event
- This event will be held in person. It is suggested that attendees wear masks indoors at this event. Any other COVID measures will follow local health guidance.
- Light breakfast, Lunch, and Coffee Breaks will be provided.
- Registration refunds are available with a minimum of 2 weeks’ notice. No refund will be provided with less than 2 weeks’ notice (After Jan. 12th). If the event is cancelled by the organizers, a full refund will be provided.
- If you have registered and are unable to attend, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to notify the CWRA that we are able to offer your space to someone on the waitlist.
- The event organizers may take photos at the event that will be shared on social media.
- Registration is open to all water resource professionals, students, Indigenous people and members of the public.
Thank you to our Sponsors!
Gold Sponsor :