World Water Day – Water for All
April 4, 2019 6:00 PM Please join us for a moderated, expert panel discussion on the topic of water security and access, in the context of this year’s World Water Day theme Water for All. The focus will be water as a human right, in the context of safe drinking water and access to our shared water resources. Our panelists will share their expertise and insights on challenges related to water security, from Canadian and international perspectives.
[su_button url=”https://cwra.org/en/membee-events#id=112&cid=1410&wid=701″ target=”blank” size=”10″ center=”no” radius=”round”]Register Here [/su_button]
April 4, 2019 6:00 PM
Location: Centre for Social Innovation
720 Bathurst St., Toronto
(near Bathurst Subway Station)
Beer will be served for $5 each and a light snack will be provided.
- Dr. Sheri Longboat, PhD (University of Guelph): Sheri is a Haudenosaunee Mohawk and band member of the Six Nations of the Grand River with 20 years of professional experience working with First Nations. She is a professor in the School of Environment Design and Rural Development at the University of Guelph where she teaches graduate courses in Water Resources Management, Indigenous Experiences and Relations, and Indigenous Community Planning. Her research program focuses on the interface between Indigenous and Western institutions (knowledge systems, policy and governance) to address water security, food sovereignty, and sustainability in First Nations communities. Sheri believes solutions for social-ecological challenges require interdisciplinary approaches, collaboration among multiple actors, and shared responsibilities. She is also a member of the CWRA Ontario Branch Board of Directors.
- Matt Paznar, P.Eng. (Vice President, RJ Burnside & Associates): Matt has been working to provide safe drinking water to Indigenous communities and municipalities throughout Canada, as well as to international villages and refugee camps. His work has taken him coast to coast to coast, to over 320 First Nation communities, as well a stint assisting the Canadian Forces in the most northern habituated location in the world (Alert, Nunavut) as well as time spent in Mozambique, Africa, amongst other places. Matt brings a combined Canadian and international perspective to our panel.
- Julie Kauffman (Development Manager, Water for People): Julie is a business development manager with Water For People. She works with companies that have employee engagement as the centerpiece of their partnership. Before Water For People, Julie spent eight years at a consulting engineering firm in Denver, Colo., where she focused on public relations, conferences, and community relations.
Harry Reinders (Owner and President of R&M Construction): Harrry Reinders is President of RM Construction, a company which focuses on restoration of waterways and wetlands. I addition to his work restoring Ontario’s lakes, wetland and rivers, Harry has undertaken humanitarian efforts in countries around the world, building water infrastructure in remote and water-challenged regions, including Africa and Central America. Harry will provide an on-the-ground perspective of some of the unique water-related problems facing these communities, offering insight on how to problem solve in challenging circumstances.
- Rachael Marshall (Shared Value Solutions): Rachael is a water resources specialist and environmental engineer. Her experience with First Nation and Inuit communities in Canada has included source water protection plan development, water and waste management strategy development, technical reviews of environmental assessments, Indigenous Knowledge studies and land use mapping, and groundwater research. Rachael has worked with communities in Ontario, Saskatchewan, and Nunatsiavut. Outside of Canada, Rachael has also conducted research with an Indigenous community in Guatemala to evaluate and improve their solid waste management systems.
- Thank you to High Park Brewery for their generous donation of beer for this event
- Thank you to Resilient Consulting for kindly sponsoring our catering for this event.