January 23-26th, 2023: ON Branch Urban Roadway Drainage Design Workshop
What: FHWA-NHI-135027V Urban Roadway Drainage Design Workshop
When: January 23rd-26th, 2023 from 9am – 4pm ET
Where: Virtual – Adobe Connect Classroom. A link will be provided a week before the training.
Please Note: Dual monitors can be helpful, but not necessary. And Adobe Connect does use a lot of bandwidth, so a good internet connection is helpful.
This online course provides a detailed introduction to urban roadway drainage design. Design guidance for solving basic problems encountered in urban roadway drainage design is provided in the course. Please refer to a summary found here: https://www.nhi.fhwa.dot.gov/downloads/catalog/FHWA-NHI-135027V.pdf. The course covers topics of hydrology including rational equations, soil conservation methods, regression equations, and synthetic hydrographs; and road drainage including gutter flow, roadway inlet interception, storm drain systems, and energy and hydraulic grade lines. An overview of the detention basins design is also included. Bring a calculator and a straight edge to navigate nomographs, as all the problems are solved long-hand. Hard copies of the material including HEC 22 and the participant workbook are provided prior to the course by ground mail. Those will also be available to download in the Adobe Connect classroom.
HEC 22 can be downloaded here:
The course includes a short introduction to WinTR-55 (small watershed hydrology free hydrologic software) and a Hydraulic Toolbox (FHWA Hydraulic Toolbox Program is a stand-alone suite of calculators that performs routine hydrologic and hydraulic analysis and design computations) helpful for the road design applications. A download of the software is recommended prior to taking the course.
Here are the links:
- This training a multi-day virtual event.
- A link will be emailed to registrants a week before training.
- Dual monitors will be helpful during the training, as well as a strong internet connection, since the event will use Adobe Connect.
- If the organizers cancel the event, a full refund will be given.
- Registration will be open until December 31, 2022. If a minimum registration is not met, the event will be cancelled.
- Registrants may not request a withdrawal and refund after December 31, 2022, but they may transfer their registration by emailing email@example.com.